The state of the art of reconstruction of the axonal tracts in the central nervous system (CNS) using diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) is reviewed. This relatively new technique has generated much enthusiasm and high expectations because it presently is the only approach available to non-invasively study the three-dimensional architecture of white matter tracts. While there is no doubt that DTI fiber tracking is providing exciting new opportunities to study CNS anatomy, it is very important to understand its limitations. In this review we therefore assess the basic principles and the assumptions that need to be made for each step of the study, including both data acquisition and the elaborate fiber reconstruction algorithms. Special attention is paid to situations where complications may arise, and possible solutions are reviewed. Validation issues and potential future directions and improvements are also discussed. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- 1. Self diffusion of water in frog muscle. Biophys. J. 1979; 28: 107–116.
- 2, , , . Histological validation of myocardial microstructure obtained from diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging. Am. J. Physiol. 1998; 275: H2308–2318.
- 3, , , , , , , . Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of anisotropic water diffusion in cat central nervous system. Radiology 1990; 176: 439–445.
- 4, , . Estimation of the effective self-diffusion tensor from the NMR spin echo. J. Magn. Reson. B 1994; 103: 247–254.
- 5, , . MR diffusion tensor spectroscopy and imaging. Biophys. J. 1994; 66: 259–267.
- 6, , , , , . Water diffusion and acute stroke. Magn. Reson. Med. 1994; 31: 154–163.
- 7, , . NMR in Physiology and Biomedicine, RJ Gillies (ed.). Academic Press: San Diego, CA, 1994; 185–198.
- 8, . Diffusion weighting by the trace of the diffusion tensor within a single scan. Magn. Reson. Med. 1995; 33: 41–52.
- 9, , , , , , , , , , . Normal brain in human newborns: apparent diffusion coefficient and diffusion anisotropy measured by using diffusion tensor MR imaging. Radiology 1998; 209: 57–66.
- 10, , . Diffusion tensor imaging of normal and injured developing human brain. NMR Biomed. 2002; 15: 543–552.
- 11, , . Diffusion imaging of the spinal cord in vivo: estimation of the principal diffusion and application to multiple sclerosis. Magn. Reson. Med. 2000; 43: 133–138.
- 12, , . Investigation of apparent diffusion coefficient and diffusion tensor anisotrophy in acute and chronic multiple sclerosis lesions. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 1999; 20: 1491–1499.
- 13, , , , , , , . Diffusion tensor MRI assesses corticospinal tract damages in ALS. Neurology 1999; 22: 1051–1058.
- 14, , , , , , , . Difference between gray matter and white matter water diffusion in stroke: diffusion tensor MR imaing in 12 patients. Radiology 2000; 215: 211–220.
- 15. The role of diffusion tensor imaging in the evaluation of ischemic brain injury. NMR Biomed. 2002; 15: 561–569.
- 16, , , , , . Compromised white matter tract integrity in schizophrenia inferred from diffusion tensor imaging. Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 1999; 56: 367–374.
- 17, . Applications of diffusion-weighed and diffusion tensor MRI to white matter diseases. NMR Biomed. 2002; 15: 570–577.
- 18, , , , , , . Microstructure of temporo-parietal white matter as a basis for reading ability: evidence from diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging. Neuron 2000; 25: 493–500.
- 19, , , . Absolute quantitation of diffusion constants in human stroke. Stroke 1997; 28: 483–90.
- 20, . Magnetic resonance imaging of acute stroke. J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 1998; 18: 583–609.
- 21, , , , , , , . Yield of diffusion-weighted MRI for detection of potentially relevant findings in stroke patients. Neurology 2000; 54: 1562–1567.
- 22, , , , , , , , , , . Predicting tissue outcome in acute human cerebral ischemia using combined diffusion- and perfusion-weighted MR imaging. Stroke 2001; 32: 933–42.
- 23, . Toward a quantitative assessment of diffusion anisotropy. Magn. Reson. Med. 1996; 36: 893–906.
- 24, . Orientation-independent diffusion imaging without tensor diagonalization: anisotropy definitions based on physical attributes of the diffusion ellipsoid. J. Magn. Reson. Imag. 1999; 9: 804–813.
- 25, , , , . MR color mapping of myelin fiber orientation. J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 1991; 15: 923–929.
- 26, . Three-dimensional anisotropy contrast magnetic resonance imaging of the rat nervous system: MR axonography. Neurosci. Res. 1995; 22: 389–398.
- 27, . Color schemes to represent the orientation of anisotropic tissues from diffusion tensor data: application to white matter fiber tract mapping in the human brain. Magn. Reson. Med. 1999; 42: 526–540.
- 28, , . 3D brain fiber reconstruction from diffusion MRI. In Proceedings of International Conference on Functional Mapping of the Human Brain, Montreal, 1998.
- 29. Fiber-tractography via diffusion tensor MRI. In Proceedings of International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Sydney, 1998; 1226.
- 30, , , . Three dimensional tracking of axonal projections in the brain by magnetic resonance imaging. Ann. Neurol. 1999; 45: 265–269.
- 31, , , , . In vivo three-dimensional reconstruction of rat brain axonal projections by diffusion tensor imaging. Magn. Reson. Med. 1999; 42: 1123–1127.
- 32, , , , , , , , . Tracking neuronal fiber pathways in the living human brain. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 1999; 96: 10422–10427.
- 33, , , , , , . In vivo visualization of human neural pathways by MRI. Ann. Neurol. 2000; 47: 412–414.
- 34, , , , , , . Regularization of diffusion-based direction maps for the tracking of brain white matter fascicules. NeuroImage 2000; 12: 184–195.
- 35, , , , . In vitro fiber tractography using DT-MRI data. Magn. Reson. Med. 2000; 44: 625–632.
- 36, , , . Non-invasive assessment of axonal fiber connectivity in the human brain via diffusion tensor MRI. Magn. Reson. Med. 1999; 42: 37–41.
- 37. Tracing fiber tracts using fast marching. In Proceedings, International Society of Magnetic Resocance, Denver, CO, 2000; 85.
- 38, , , . Axon tractography with tensorlines. In Proceedings of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Denver, CO, 2000; 482.
- 39, , , , , , . Diffusion tensor imaging can detect and quantify corticospinal tract degeneration after stroke. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiat. 2000; 69: 269–272.
- 40, , . A path integral approach to white matter tractography. In Proceedings of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Denver, CO, 2000; 791.
- 41, , , , , , . Mapping fiber orientation spectra in cerebral white matter with fourier-transform diffusion MRI. In Proceedings of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Denver, CO, 2000; p. 82.
- 42, , , , , . Diffusion tensor imaging and axonal tracking in the human brainstem. NeuroImage 2001; 14: 723–735.
- 43. The basis of anisotropic water diffusion in the nervous system. NMR Biomed. 2002; 15: 435–455.
- 44, , . Anisotropic diffusion in human white matter: Demonstration with MR technique in vivo. Radiology 1990; 177: 401–405.
- 45, , , , , . Normal and abnormal white matter tracts shown by MR imaging using directional diffusion weighted sequences. J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 1990; 14: 865–873.
- 46, , , , . Diffusion tensor MR imaging of human brain. Radiology 1996; 201: 637–648.
- 47, , , , , , , , , , , , . Morphometry of in vivo human white matter association pathways with diffusion weighted magnetic resonance imaging. Ann. Neurol. 1997; 42: 951–962.
- 48, , . Correlative anatomy of the nervous system. Macmillan: New York, 1962.
- 49. Human neuroanatomy. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins, 1976.
- 50, , . The Human Central Nervous System. Springer: Berlin, 1983.
- 51, , , , . Diffusion tensor tracking of human neuronal fiber bundles: Simulation of effects of noise, voxel size and data interpolation. In Proceedings, International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Denver, CO, 1999; 775.
- 52, , , , , , , , , , , . Imaging cortical association tracts in human brain. Magn. Reson. Imag. 2002; 47: 215–223.
- 53, . Error analysis of white matter tracking algorithms (streamlines and tensorlines) for DT-MRI. In Proceedings of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Glasgow, UK, 2001; 506.
- 54, , , , , , . Spin glass models for the inference of anatomical connectivities matrices from diffusion-weighted MR data. NMR Biomed. 2002; 15: 481–492.
- 55, , , , . Identification of the corticospinal tracts achieved using blood-oxygen- level-dependent and diffusion functional MR imaging in patients with brain tumors. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2001; 22: 83–88.
- 56, , , , . Measuring cortico-cortical connectivity matrices with diffusion spectrum imaging. In Proceedings of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Glasgow, UK, 2001; 502.
- 57. Imaging crossing fibers. NMR Biomed. (in press).
- 58, , . Tensorlines: advection diffusion based propagation through diffusion tensor fields. In Proceedings, IEEE Visualization, San Francisco, CA, 1999; p. 249–253.
- 59, . Elucidating neural structure in diffusion tensor MRI volumes using streamtubes and streamsurfaces. In Proceedings of International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Imaging, Glasgow, UK, 2001; 505.
- 60. Anisotropy in high angular resolution diffusion-weighted MRI. Magn. Reson. Med. 2001; 45: 935–939.
- 61, , , , , , . Brain white matter anatomy of tumor patients using diffusion tensor imaging. Ann. Neurol. 2002; 51: 377–380.
- 62, , , . Validation of diffusion tensor magnetic resonance axonal fiber imaging with registered manganese-enhanced optic tracts. Neuroimage 2001; 14: 1035–1047.
- 63, , , , , . Molecular Biology of the Cell. Garland Publishing: New York, 1989.
- 64, , . The human brain: dissections of the real brain. Vitrual Hospital, University of Iowa, 1997; www.vh.org/Providers/Textbooks/BrainAnatomy and www.brain-university.com [21/10/00]
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
central nervous system
cortio-spinal tract, DTI, diffusion tensor imaging
fiber assignment by continuous tracking
region of interest
superior longitudinal fasciculus
temporo parietalo occipital pontine tract